Skip to main content

Unity tutorial 2

For this tutorial I first watched both of the jimmy Vegas videos and then loaded up unity and whenever I got stuck I used the tutorial for a bit of guidance. I like to do it on my own as you learn more than just straight up copying. I enjoyed this tutorial as it was more in depth than the first one and I got to learn more unity skills but overall the tutorial was very outdated and when I tried to do basic stuff like add characters in to places it wouldn't let me. these tutorials are very hard to follow when you do not get any help with them in class but I gave it my best shot.

the first thing you had to do was create a wall to add to your game I found this challenging but very doable. I really liked this tutorial as it was the first real time I have had to use code or script as jimmy vegas calls it. this code is very different than web dev and can be confusing but I got the hang of it pretty quickly. the main problem I had was making sure I had everything under the right type. then I started to add in more objects like water where I had to make a dip first to put it in place. I imported the water in and then placed it into position. I found it quite tricky to place the wall together in this tutorial and had to keep redoing it but I got it eventually.

The second tutorial focused on UI elements and it was altogether very interesting. I liked learning new code such as transform position which allowed you to completely change the position of a certain object. this will come in very handy when I go to make my own game in the near future. the code got kind of annoying when I used cap letters by mistake once but that was just my own stupidity. this game was not as fun as the last alien shooter demo I played but overall it sure did teach me so many skills about coding and placing objects into a canvas which I will need to make my own game.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction Post

My name is Aaron Comiskey and I am 20 years old. I currently study CDM in Blanchardstown and I love the course. I live in Kilmessan, Meath with my family but I hope to move out soon when I get enough money together. I want to be a video editor when I am finished college and maybe work for companies such as BBC or RTE(you have to aim big or you will fail). During this term I want to get better at all things to do with video but I also want to give the other stuff like web design and game development a chance as I may end up loving them and actually want to go into that area after college. I have many hobbies. I am big into the gym and love lifting weights , it makes you feel better and look better so why not do it. I love football and I am a huge Manchester United fan even though we are rubbish now. I play tennis the odd time when I am not too busy also. I post fitness content online not to show off my body or muscles (even though I am proud of the results) More so that I can keep u

prototype

Over the past week I have had so many assignments to submit and with the blogs we have to do each week I have not have had much time to work on my game in unity. I have been watching the two tutorials that I linked in my previous game idea and I have drawn up a few prototypes on sheets of paper. By next week I hope to have a good bit of my game complete to show you. I am happy with the vision for my game. My level is not going to be very complicates as I find if I add too much into it that it will just become confusing and I will not be able to complete it. I want my final game to hopefully be fully complete . Everything in my game is going good except for the fact that unity is limited and its hard to customise weapons, characters and other things as you are very limited by the options it has on it. that is a screenshot from the tutorial I am using . for my game there is a lot I still have to consider. I have to try add in sound efects but not ones that sound really bad and

Game Brainstorm

Before I even started this blog, I researched for about 35 minutes and found many games that I wanted to base my idea off. These 4 ideas are very different and I will probably go with the one that is easiest to make with unity. So for my first idea I looked up puzzle games. Puzzle games are something that really interest me as you feel so great when you finally crack the puzzle and figure it all out. for this research I used this website that really helped me understand what makes a good puzzle game. from reading this article I found that puzzle games have to be challenging but you have to be subtly pushing the player of the game towards the correct solution. you need to play test every puzzle first to see if it works and do not make it too difficult as the player will get fed up too quickly.making a puzzle game is a puzzle itself as you first have to come up with a puzzle . so I will probably not go with this idea but I am very interested to make a puzzle game in thew future