Skip to main content

Game Brainstorm

Before I even started this blog, I researched for about 35 minutes and found many games that I wanted to base my idea off. These 4 ideas are very different and I will probably go with the one that is easiest to make with unity.

So for my first idea I looked up puzzle games. Puzzle games are something that really interest me as you feel so great when you finally crack the puzzle and figure it all out. for this research I used this website that really helped me understand what makes a good puzzle game. from reading this article I found that puzzle games have to be challenging but you have to be subtly pushing the player of the game towards the correct solution. you need to play test every puzzle first to see if it works and do not make it too difficult as the player will get fed up too quickly.making a puzzle game is a puzzle itself as you first have to come up with a puzzle . so I will probably not go with this idea but I am very interested to make a puzzle game in thew future
research for

One of my main ideas for my game is to make a platformer game. super mario bros used to be one of my favourite games ever and a platformer game seems like something I would actually be able to make on unity. I do not want to try a too complicated idea. I would prefer to make a working game. My idea for a platformer game would involve maybe two levels and you would control some sort of animal and try to collect food as you jump from platform to platform. There would also be a few enemies along the way who would shoot you. from reading the unity tutorial I have found that the environment of your game is vital so I will most likely try to make my game colourful like in mario games. the tutorial of how to make a platformer on unity is really simple and It looks like something I could definitely do. I would first design my character as when you have your character you can build your world around it in my opinion.
unity platformer tutorial

I am not the biggest fan of shooting games and I have never even played call of duty but I do think a shooting game would be a great way to show off my skills in unity as I could add in a death counter and lots of unique stuff, My ideal shooting game would probably be an alien game based on a weird planet and I would try design the enemies so they are actually hard to defeat. you do not want the game to be so easy to play .first thing i found out on my research is that lighting for you game is really important and that is something I would never have thought about in the past. Also the camera has to flow with the game so I will have to work all that out too .


The  last idea I had for a game was a racing game. I have always loved racing games such as mario kart and forza motorsport. I love the way in some racing games you can feel like you are actually driving a high speed car. . for the research for this I went and looked at previous racing games made on unity . From this I found that have proper steering is really important and it has to be smooth and not clunky. Also car types are very important so you want to make realistic looking cars. in my car games I will have coins to collect and hopefully at the end a leader board will come up so players can try to beat each other.


so these are mt four ides over the next few weeks I will pick one and go with it to create my full game



Comments

  1. Hey Aaron,
    I looked through some of your game ideas and you've got some good stuff. One of the concepts that stood out to me was the puzzle game idea, there's definitely tons of potential in that genre. From games like Portal with unique mechanics to games like Limbo which combine the puzzle genre with platforming, the possibilities are pretty much endless. I do relate to you wanting to pick the easiest option as well though, unless it turns into a passion project i'll usually try to get an assignment done asap, so I can see where you're coming from, the less stress the better.

    Cya for now,
    -Adam

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction Post

My name is Aaron Comiskey and I am 20 years old. I currently study CDM in Blanchardstown and I love the course. I live in Kilmessan, Meath with my family but I hope to move out soon when I get enough money together. I want to be a video editor when I am finished college and maybe work for companies such as BBC or RTE(you have to aim big or you will fail). During this term I want to get better at all things to do with video but I also want to give the other stuff like web design and game development a chance as I may end up loving them and actually want to go into that area after college. I have many hobbies. I am big into the gym and love lifting weights , it makes you feel better and look better so why not do it. I love football and I am a huge Manchester United fan even though we are rubbish now. I play tennis the odd time when I am not too busy also. I post fitness content online not to show off my body or muscles (even though I am proud of the results) More so that I can keep u

prototype

Over the past week I have had so many assignments to submit and with the blogs we have to do each week I have not have had much time to work on my game in unity. I have been watching the two tutorials that I linked in my previous game idea and I have drawn up a few prototypes on sheets of paper. By next week I hope to have a good bit of my game complete to show you. I am happy with the vision for my game. My level is not going to be very complicates as I find if I add too much into it that it will just become confusing and I will not be able to complete it. I want my final game to hopefully be fully complete . Everything in my game is going good except for the fact that unity is limited and its hard to customise weapons, characters and other things as you are very limited by the options it has on it. that is a screenshot from the tutorial I am using . for my game there is a lot I still have to consider. I have to try add in sound efects but not ones that sound really bad and