Skip to main content

Game vision statement

example of how my game may look


over the past few weeks I have been thoroughly researching what game I would like to make. All the unity tutorials that I have been doing have made me a bit more confident on my game making skills but to be honest my unity skills are still not the best and I do not enjoy game development much at all, but For my game I will try to keep it simple but still manageable.

To give a bit of background to my game, I hope to kind of follow this unity tutorial. I will change loads of things but this does seem like a very manageable project I could take on.  I will also use this video on how to add enemies to a game as that is something I struggled with when practicing lat week. This tutorial is great as you can randomly make enemies spawn and it will not be so predictable as to where the enemies will go.

For my game I want to make a  platformer. I think this could be very fun. I have some bigger ideas but being realistic I do not think that them ideas would be do-able at all. for my game I started researching lots of  platformer games . the first game that I looked at was shovel knight this is a very advanced platformer but it really does show off some of the gameplay features that I would like to have in my final game . shovel knight . in my game I want to have a character which preferable will be some sort of animal. I am not stuck on what animal to make and I will just do one that is the easiest and looks the best.

my game will hopefully have one fully functional level and then maybe another one if I have time. the premise of the game will involve the character  to jump from platform to platform and collect food. while you are doing this there will be some enemies trying to stop you . when the user is playing this game I hoped that enemies will come in from each side and it should take a bit of skill from them to get past the enemies. the player should be emerged into the game and they should not get bored easily. players will have to think on the spot and use their own skill to complete a level. I don't think I will add weapons in this game . I think I will make it hard by making the player have to evade the enemies while collecting food and have no way of fighting back. If the player could fight back then it may become too easy and it is hard to make enemies different skill levels without being advanced at unity

I hope that the my game will be colourful as I find games that are grey and black in the background to be very dull and it doesn't make you want to play it. my game will probably only work on pc as I have no idea how to get it to work on anything else. I will hopefully use some of the unity platformer tutorials as a guide but I will change a good few stuff like the collar of objects. I will try put a counter at the top that tells you how much food you have collected and once you hit a certain goal the level is completed. I am still not sure what that goals should be but it will probably be around 25-50. I would like to add a boss fight in at the end like Mario does on most levels but that may be very hard to code.

I don't really like the coding in this module as I am so used to website coding and this sort of coding is just throwing me fully off but I will try add a little bit of code into my final game as I know it is necessary to have a working game in the end.


Overall game development is probably my weakest part of this course but I will give it my best shot. I am trying to keep this simple as I want to actually have a working game at the end not try a huge idea and barely get any of it completed.  I still have some scope to make changes but I am excited by this idea and look forward to getting started with it.

Comments

  1. Hi Aaron!

    I like your idea for the game, it's similar to what I was thinking about doing too! I believe the game has to be in 3D rather than 2D (I was very disappointed as I was going to do a similar 2D game myself!) However, I do like this idea a lot and I hope it works out for you, I can't wait to play it once it's done!

    Ingrida.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction Post

My name is Aaron Comiskey and I am 20 years old. I currently study CDM in Blanchardstown and I love the course. I live in Kilmessan, Meath with my family but I hope to move out soon when I get enough money together. I want to be a video editor when I am finished college and maybe work for companies such as BBC or RTE(you have to aim big or you will fail). During this term I want to get better at all things to do with video but I also want to give the other stuff like web design and game development a chance as I may end up loving them and actually want to go into that area after college. I have many hobbies. I am big into the gym and love lifting weights , it makes you feel better and look better so why not do it. I love football and I am a huge Manchester United fan even though we are rubbish now. I play tennis the odd time when I am not too busy also. I post fitness content online not to show off my body or muscles (even though I am proud of the results) More so that I can keep u

prototype

Over the past week I have had so many assignments to submit and with the blogs we have to do each week I have not have had much time to work on my game in unity. I have been watching the two tutorials that I linked in my previous game idea and I have drawn up a few prototypes on sheets of paper. By next week I hope to have a good bit of my game complete to show you. I am happy with the vision for my game. My level is not going to be very complicates as I find if I add too much into it that it will just become confusing and I will not be able to complete it. I want my final game to hopefully be fully complete . Everything in my game is going good except for the fact that unity is limited and its hard to customise weapons, characters and other things as you are very limited by the options it has on it. that is a screenshot from the tutorial I am using . for my game there is a lot I still have to consider. I have to try add in sound efects but not ones that sound really bad and

Game Brainstorm

Before I even started this blog, I researched for about 35 minutes and found many games that I wanted to base my idea off. These 4 ideas are very different and I will probably go with the one that is easiest to make with unity. So for my first idea I looked up puzzle games. Puzzle games are something that really interest me as you feel so great when you finally crack the puzzle and figure it all out. for this research I used this website that really helped me understand what makes a good puzzle game. from reading this article I found that puzzle games have to be challenging but you have to be subtly pushing the player of the game towards the correct solution. you need to play test every puzzle first to see if it works and do not make it too difficult as the player will get fed up too quickly.making a puzzle game is a puzzle itself as you first have to come up with a puzzle . so I will probably not go with this idea but I am very interested to make a puzzle game in thew future