Skip to main content

Game elements

To start off this blog I went ahead and read the article about critical analysis that you had left for us top read. this article was very interesting and I learned a lot that I did not know before about reviews. I now understand that critical analysis is not just a review but it is an unbiased look at the game or movie in full. Anyone can make a review and if they have any ties to the maker of the game/ movie they will rate it high even if it is really awful that is why critical analysis is great as you get a proper all around review. the main aspect of critical analysis is to understand why the game developer chose the elements he did and how they all tie together to make the game complete.Designing a game requires the creation of all of the game’s parts. If you haven’t defined the formal elements of your game in a few ways, then you don’t really have a game at all.

The next article I read was the external link you left (link to article)  this article was over 7 pages so I could only skim through it but I still read it for like 40 minutes. this article really gave me a great sense of what computer games really should be and posed a really good question as to why if their is a bad part of one game we cant make a new and fix it. I always wonder this as games keep coming out year with terrible parts in it and you just wonder who decided this was right to go here. the article then went on to talk about one of the most iconic games ever Mario 64 and it really sums how a simple game like this works by using this quote "The simplicity and solidity of Mario's world makes players feel more connected to, or responsible for, their actions." This sis so true as when you play Mario you get so connected to Mario as its just him your using so when you mess up it hurts more and when you complete a level you get a real sense of accomplishment.

Overall these articles really thought me that game design is a very complex thing but you can take elements from certain games and mash them together to hopefully one day create the near perfect game.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

unity tutorial 2

ok so we are back to unity yaah. Last term I really struggled on unity and to be honest I did not give it a fair shot. Game design or anything to do with games is my most hated part of this and I know for a fact that I will not go into this industry ever but I willing to try unity more this semester and who knows I might end up enjoying it a little. I can't hate it anymore than I already do . For this semester we had two options obviously I chose the first option "create with code as I am not very skilled in unity yet and would like to improve". the tutorial today was pretty crazy long and I did not expect it to take like 3 hours so I will have to give myself more time next week to do it fully.  the first few steps were very basic I just had to Crete folders, name them and import a few assists after the easy work was finished I finally started something a little challenging.  adding a vehicle was difficult as for some reason it wouldn't open for ages but I finally...

Introduction Post

My name is Aaron Comiskey and I am 20 years old. I currently study CDM in Blanchardstown and I love the course. I live in Kilmessan, Meath with my family but I hope to move out soon when I get enough money together. I want to be a video editor when I am finished college and maybe work for companies such as BBC or RTE(you have to aim big or you will fail). During this term I want to get better at all things to do with video but I also want to give the other stuff like web design and game development a chance as I may end up loving them and actually want to go into that area after college. I have many hobbies. I am big into the gym and love lifting weights , it makes you feel better and look better so why not do it. I love football and I am a huge Manchester United fan even though we are rubbish now. I play tennis the odd time when I am not too busy also. I post fitness content online not to show off my body or muscles (even though I am proud of the results) More so that I can keep u...

Reading 2

Welcome back to my blog guys. I was kind of hoping there would be no bogs to do this term at all as they were pretty stressful last semester but I will get on with it and give it my best shot. This module actually sounds very interesting and I ma excited to keep researching and adding to my parts of the book. I spent way over 3 hours doing research for this. My two chosen topics are key components of game design and stages of game design. these are two topics that kind of excite me and make me want to dive into these blogs head first. the first thing I did was list all the who, what ,why ,where and when. these questions actually really helped me get a focus on what I was researching these are my answers who- I started my who by finding all about the people behind the games, I found out that first game was made in 1972 and it was all very interesting what- for the what part I went into detail about  what are the key elements in games . in my opinion a story and good visuals a...